Physics Based Simulation Models
Simulation models can reduce an entire database of experimental results to a single set of simulation parameters.
These parameters can be encrypted and distributed so that others can use them to simulate battery performance without having access to the underlying design information. In this way, battery users can evaluate batteries under their specific use conditions without having to carry out expensive and time-consuming battery testing. The net result - battery developers can reduce the time required to qualify their products while providing more value to their customers.
Cell models can be used to estimate performance of packs. Different cells can be evaluated as well as different internal arrangements.
The standard version is specific for lithium-ion chemistries; other chemistries (Li/SOCl2, Zn/Air) can be provided on request. Lithium-ion simulation models for mixtures of active materials, and multi-layer coatings are available.
Battery Design Studio® is designed with flexibility and modularity so it can be easily customized. Battery developers can realize significant cost savings by using Battery Design Studio® as an in-house platform for battery design rather than develop a package from scratch. The maintenance cost of in-house software can be significantly reduced by using Battery Design Studio®.
For experts in modeling, a software development kit is available that allows development of custom models. Start with one of the following models:
- BDS_DUAL - lithium-ion simulator similar to Newman's DUALFOIL (Duhamel solution to solid-phase diffusion problem) but with more options.
- BDS_DUALNP - lithium-ion simulator that solves solid-phase diffusion problem for N different active materials in each electrode using Duhamel's method.
- BDS_DIST - lithium-ion simulator that solves solid-phase diffusion problem numerically.
- BDS_DISTNP - lithium-ion simulator that solves solid-phase diffusion problem numerically for N different active materials in each electrode.
- BDS_Lump - lithium-ion simulator that solves solid-phase diffusion problem using lumped-parameter model.
- BDS_Lump2D - lithium-ion simulator that solves solid-phase diffusion problem using lumped-parameter model including current profiles along length of electrodes.
- BDS_FOIL - simulator for lithium metal anode with intercalation cathode.
- BDS_SOCL2 - Lithium thionyl chloride simulator.
- BDS_ZnAir - Primary Zinc Air simulator